Towing a Caravan
Towing a caravan is something that you should take very seriously. After all, with a caravan in tow you need to think about more than your own driving - you also need to be as careful as possible in terms of other drivers. So, when towing a caravan you should pay attention to:
- Making sure that the maximum towing limit of the car pulling the caravan matches the specifications of the caravan itself.
- Ensuring that you load the caravan up sensibly to avoid it being too heavy at the front or back.
- Checking that the caravan is roadworthy before you set off especially if you are taking it out for the first time in a while.
- Making sure that your mirrors give you as much visibility along the caravan as is possible.
- Remembering that you are not just driving a car and that you also have the length and weight of the caravan to consider.
- Making sure that you have the right kind of tow bar fitted for both your car and your caravan and that it is correctly connected before you set off.
- Checking that you are fully covered from an insurance perspective.
- Ensuring that you stick to relevant speed limits on all roads.
- Making sure that no passengers travel in the caravan itself when you are on the road.